After having 4 ear infections since October (3 of them between the end of January and February) and another ear infection starting after just completing an antibiotic for an ear infection, the ENT decided that Sammy needed to have tubes placed back in his ears. The set he had put in when he was 18 months fell out this past summer.
I dreaded the day for this surgery. We went to the ENT on Monday and they scheduled him on Friday so I was grateful I did not have to anticipate it to long. Sam went more willingly than we had expected. He asked us everyday if he had to go to the doctor and insisted he did not need tubes in his ears. We had to be at the surgycenter at 5:30am in Scottsdale. I thought he would be upset getting in the car but he was just as calm as a clam. He was even fine when we went back to the room to get ready. He wrote on the chalkboard, picked out a stuffed bear to take with him and we practiced blowing up the balloon which was how he was put to sleep by blowing on the balloon. They told us the procedure is only about 15 min. and then he just has to wake up and he would wake up very upset then they would get us. When he knew he was going to be taken back by the anaesthesiologist he started to get upset. Stefan carried him as far as he could before the anaesthesiologist had to take him. The whole way down the hall he was whacking him on the back with the balloon. I have a tough time seeing my little guy like that all I do is cry (which is not helpful to anyone) so I was thankful to have my sweet husband with me. He is always my rock. We only had time to get a water and sat down for 5 min. before the doctor came to tell us everything went fine. They came to bring us back only about 10 min. after that and he was not even crying. The first thing he said to me was "that did not even hurt, Mom". My worry was lifted. He was so adorable sitting so big with the nurse. We left only about 20 min. after he woke up he was doing so good. We went home and had a normal afternoon. I am so thankful for a good doctor and such good nurses.
No comments:
Post a Comment